The immune system and how to strengthen it.
The immune system is a host defense system comprising many biological structures and processeswithin an organism that protects against disease. Organs of the immune system include tonsils and adenoids, lymph nodes, lymphatic vessels, spleen, appendix, Peter’s patches, and bone marrow. To function properly, an immune system must detect a wide variety of agents, known as pathogens, from viruses to parasitic worms, and distinguishthem from the organism's own healthy tissue.
Our immune system is a ‘reactive system’ that keeps white blood cells constantly on alert to thwart invading pathogens. When our immune system is weakened, an invader can get through causing us to fall ill. Reasons for weakened immune systems are related to poor diet, environmental pollution, stress, depression, lack of sleep, too little or too much exercise, and unhealthy habits such as smoking, drugs, and alcohol.
How to strengthen the immunity
The idea of boosting your immunityis enticing, but for many has proven elusive. The immune system is precisely that — a system, not a single entity. To function well, it requires balance and harmony throughout the body and mind. Here are a few key steps to help get you there. First a few things not to do, followed by things to do.
- Don’t drink alcohol in excess
- Don’t smoke or vape; many of the chemicals in both traditional and e-cigarettes are known carcinogens or are detrimental to the human body.
- Don’t consume too much sugar; sugary sweets, including soda and energy drinks, reduce the efficiency immune system to a point where our bodies become twice as vulnerable.
- Don’t worry: avoid unnecessary stress and minimize those unavoidable stressors by identifying health stress- management tools, ie exercise, prayer and meditation, etc.
Also, don’t overindulge in caffeine; it is dehydrating and it inhibits the absorption of calcium, iron, and vitamin D which are needed for optimal immune function. If you must, plan to drink 500ml of water after each cup of coffee consumed.
- Do eat proteins such as nuts, beans, eggs, meats or seafood throughout the day, as protein helps the body produce white blood cells.
- Do eat a wide range of colorful fresh vegetables, citrus fruits and berries
- Do eat healthy fats such as avocado, and healthy oils like olive, almond, flax seed
- Do eat probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, etc and prebiotic rich foods such as peas, garlic, asparagus, and steel-cut oats
- Do get adequate sleep; aim for 8 hrs starting at 10pm.
- Do drink lemon water every day, preferably hot and first thing in the morning. Bio- flavonoids in lemon fortifies cell walls and creates an alkaline environment which supports healthy bacteria; harmful bacteria thrives in acidic environments.
- Do take steps to avoid infection; wash hands often
- Do stay hydrated by drinking half your weight in ounces of water each day
- Do exercise regularly and consistently
- Do minimize your internal toxic load with regular colon hydrotherapy which frees white blood cells to fight other germs.
A healthy immune system can ward off pathogens, flush toxins, and help destroy rouge cells before they turn into major illnesses like cancer. By keeping your immune system strong with the tips listed above, you can avoid illness during cold and flu season, as well as maintain beautiful skin, a strong body and sound mental health for a long healthy life.
Remember to schedule your next session. Email or call 310.929.0258.